When I got home from vacation on Sunday, there was an unexpected package outside my door.
I brought it inside, opened it up, and was greeted with a box of energy saving mayhem!
The box was full of all sorts and sizes of eco-lightbulbs, a power saving surge protector, night lights, and a furnace whistle. Whistle tips go woo woooo. (Sorry, I had to.) Furnace whistles sound when your furnace filter needs to be replaced, maximizing the filter’s efficiency.
The package was from my electric company. I had filled out a survey a few months ago about my electric use, but I didn’t know what the survey meant that I would get this package! So cool!
A long time ago, I did a post about going green and little things that you can do to help the environment. But when I got this package, it came with some more things that can be done to lower your energy use (and in turn lower your energy bill, too!)
Here are some of my favorite of the 100 ways included!
- Close fireplace doors when not in use to reduce air infiltration and heat loss.
- Locate window air conditioning units on the north or shady side of the house. Direct sunlight on the unit increases its work load.
- Choose light-colored shingles for your house.
- Keep doors to unused rooms closed, and close the vents in these rooms when able.
- Set the thermostat as low as comfortable in the winter and as high as comfortable in the summer.
- Do not place uncovered liquids in refrigerators. In addition to absorbing undesirable flavors, the liquids give off vapors that add to the compressor workload.
- Plan ahead and remove all ingredients for each meal at one time.
- Cook entire meals in slow cookers instead of each ingredient separately.
- Use the microwave when possible. Microwaves draw less than half the power of their conventional counterparts.
- When using the oven, avoid making frequent progress checks that entail opening the door.
- Clean lighting fixtures regularly.
- When available, air dry dishes and clothing.
For more information and tips, check out www.energysavePA.com. There are a ton of things that I never would have thought of before now!
Oh ya, and for those of your PA/Pittsburgh bloggers, check this out if you haven’t already!
There is a blogger meet-up on August 11th, starting with a pilates class and then a lunch! Check out Claire’s post for more information!
And don’t forget to enter my Girls4Sport giveaway!